assert in qemu under tcg in an smp case

From: Ivan Warren
Subject: assert in qemu under tcg in an smp case
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 13:44:50 +0200

Hello,

I know this is not a sanctioned or supported case but anyways...

I am getting this situation when ipling/booting AIX (7.2 TL5 SP2) in a virtual SMP environment (8 virtual CPUS) with TCG :

ERROR:../../src/qemu/accel/tcg/tcg-accel-ops-mttcg.c:85:mttcg_cpu_thread_fn: assertion failed: (cpu->halted)

the asset occurs very late during the boot process.

If I comment out the g_assert at or around line 85 of the offender, everything works fine (I haven't tried any tests though)

I am having a hard time getting to as how to this occurs (but it's only on AIX - ppc64le linux works fine), but I am suspecting this is related is to how the kernel vary offs and vary on logical processors.

PS : I have searched around - and this seems to be a problem that can be traced from way years back (maybe 3 or 4).

--Ivan