Re: Porting the QEMU build architecture to Visual Studio

From: Yan Vugenfirer
Subject: Re: Porting the QEMU build architecture to Visual Studio
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 09:41:31 +0200

Hi Andrew,

I created a Visual Studio project a long time ago for qemu-ga. It is an ugly unsustainable hack that was done in the time before QEMU moved to meson and I had to deal with GCC extension that MS compiler couldn't handle.
Today I would experiment with meson that should be able to create VS projects: https://mesonbuild.com/Using-with-Visual-Studio.html and use clang on Windows (info in the same link).

Best regards,
Yan.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 8:57 AM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@linaro.org> wrote:
Hi Andrew,

On 8/2/23 05:56, Andrew Numrich wrote:
> Hello, I’m looking to experiment with QEMU in a Windows specific
> environment. For that I’ll need to build QEMU’s source code in Visual
> Studio 2017.
>
> I’m seeing that QEMU’s sources calls for a `config-host.h` file
> generated by a `create_config` script. I don’t see said script anywhere
> in the source tree.
>
> By googling I can see various creations of both these files in random
> forks of QEMU around the internet, but I couldn’t be sure to use any of
> them.
>
> I’m guessing these are somehow created by meson or ninja, but I don’t
> have those easily on hand, being on Windows.
>
> Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction

Paolo posted a patch to adapt QEMU build system to VSCode few
years ago:
https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20210512100906.621504-1-pbonzini@redhat.com/