Re: how to build qemu-xxx-static

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: how to build qemu-xxx-static
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 11:22:28 +0100

On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 at 10:34, Frans de Boer <frans@fransdb.nl> wrote:
> I try to build qemu-aarch64-static, but all I get are errors;
> 6.1.0    "big/little test failed"
>
> 6.0.0   "ERROR: sizeof(size_t) doesn't match GLIB_SIZEOF_SIZE_T.
>       You probably need to set PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
>       to point to the right pkg-config files for your
>       build target"
>
> Setting PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR did not solve this issue
>
> 5.2.0 same result as above
>
> I tried to compile this using - among others - the next command:
>
> ./configure --prefix=$(cd ../..; pwd)/qemu-user-static --s
> tatic --disable-system --enable-linux-use
>
> and various other commands. The errors remain the same.
>
> I really need a static variant of qemu-aarch64 (and others), but can't
> compile it.

I would suggest as a configure command:
 /path/to/configure --target-list=aarch64-linux-user --static --disable-tools

You can add a --prefix= if you want; this just sets where
'make install' will put the binary. If you really want to build
all the linux-user targets and not just aarch64, you can use
--disable-system instead of the --target-list=... option.

The errors you're getting are I think basically "the first
time configure tried to compile and link a program, it failed".
So something is probably wrong with your compile environment
for static binaries.

configure should have written a config.log file in the build
directory -- have a look at the tail end of that to see
what failed (if nothing seems obvious, put it on the web
somewhere and give us a link to it).  Note that config.log
will contain a lot of expected failures (where configure is
testing for something and will happily cope with that something
not being present) as well as the one which caused it to
bail out.