RE: ubuntu 16.04/glib dependency

From: Mahesh Kurapati
Subject: RE: ubuntu 16.04/glib dependency
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 03:41:14 +0000

Thank you.  Will try with 20.04.

Thank you,
Mahesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 11:55 AM
To: Mahesh Kurapati <mahesh.kurapati@keysight.com>
Cc: qemu-discuss@nongnu.org

CAUTION: This message originates from an external sender.

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 at 16:07, Mahesh Kurapati <mahesh.kurapati@keysight.com>
wrote:
> I get below error when I try to build the QEMU on my unbuntu16.04 VM.   I
> tried to upgrade the glib tool, but it says it is already at the latest
> version 2.48.  How do I (force) update to the needed versions?  Any ideas?

You should upgrade your Ubuntu install. 16.04 is no longer supported by
Canonical (unless you're paying them money for that), and it's fallen out of
QEMU's set of supported distros.

The Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will work, but the most recent Ubuntu LTS release is
20.04, so you might want to move to that.
Upgrading between Ubuntu LTSes is generally pretty smooth in my experience;
check the Ubuntu docs/info on how to do it.

(It might be in theory possible to find a backport of a newer glib version to
16.04, but that's likely to be just the first of a whole series of "your distro
is too old" issues you'll run into.)

Our supported build platforms policy is documented here:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/about/build-platforms.html__;!!I5pVk4LIGAfnvw!zV0SeNufWCUULygcJgxBqjn6a1w5CBWpc0Y4tSjlOTWs9TK11lvinSrqp1AKc8f1ny5eNg$