Re: cross-building with qemu-i386/aarch64 - SOLVED

From: Frans de Boer
Subject: Re: cross-building with qemu-i386/aarch64 - SOLVED
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 20:41:39 +0200

On 8/11/21 6:26 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
On 8/11/21 1:15 PM, Frans de Boer wrote:
LS,

I have a puzzle for which I seek some assistance for the following case:

I have build a cross-compiler for - say - the i586 architecture,
including glibc and some others. The next step would be to transfer this
together with other sources to the target machine and finish the
building of a bootable system.
Now, suppose I have no bootable target system (yet) and want to build
everything using qemu-i386 to be transferred later.

However when I start:
   qemu-i386 /path to i386
     qemu-i386 -L /path/to/i386

You might want to also add '-cpu pentium'

sbin/chroot "<path to new root> /usr/bin/env
-i ....... /usr/bin/bash --login
I end up that the chroot program complains that it can't find
/lib/libc.so.6, which actually does exist on <path to new
root>/lib/libc.so.6.

Am I missing something and/or is there a solution that I am not aware of
as yet.

--- Frans.

@Philippe, thanks for your response. I missed the -L option although I was looking for something similar.

By the way, qemu-i386/aarch64 already assumes - I guess - that the binaries are properly coded. Is there a real need to add "-cpu pentium", or just a precautionary addition?

--- Frans