Re: shared disk (DOS)

From: Tomas By
Subject: Re: shared disk (DOS)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 22:52:57 +0200

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 22:25:40 +0200, Jakob Bohm wrote:
> On 2021-04-10 18:02, Tomas By wrote:
> > The page I linked to seems to talk about sharing a disk image, though.
> >
> You are both wrong about SHARE.EXE, probably due to the sloppy
> documents written about it for many years.

Well, that comment was not about DOS (but you are probably right).

I'm trying to set up a cc:Mail system, and those (DOS) programs
require SHARE.EXE, which they, according to what you seem to be
saying, should not need, as there can be only one of them on each
machine, since DOS is not multi-tasking.

I had the impression SHARE.EXE was for file locking on the common
shared file(s), which (I thought) can be one any type of disk
accessible to DOS at the time (ie FAT or Novell or maybe something
else).

> SHARE.EXE implements the parts of the DOS kernel that handles
> multiple programs (on ONE machine, not many) accessing the same
> file.  It makes programs that do file locking etc. work at all.
> [...]
> SHARE.EXE does nothing to help two DOS machines accessing the
> same disk at the same time.
> [...]
> The network file system option goes like this: [...]

Yes, Samba is my plan "B" (now "A" then I guess).

/Tomas