Re: Possible GPL violation on Mac App Store

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Possible GPL violation on Mac App Store
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:09:48 +0000

garpin <garpin@protonmail.com> writes:

> Someone is distributing an app called "UTM Virtual Machines" based on QEMU on
> Mac App Store [1]. Mac App Store has EULA, which is not compatible with GPL
> [2]. Apple's EULA imposes restrictions to users' rights, for instance it
> forbids reverse engineering. That contradicts GPL #6: "You may not impose any
> further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted
> herein."
>
> Do the QEMU developers think that such GPL violation is acceptable?

QEMU developers aren't a monolithic enough group to have cohesive view
of GPL violations. However if you have been provided a binary containing
QEMU code you should in the first instance approach the person who gave
you that binary for the relevant source code. If such an offer of code
isn't forthcoming then you could try contacting the SFLC and see what
they suggest. I'm not sure if their GPL compliance efforts are still
ongoing.

There may be individual developers willing to help with such an
enforcement but I suspect most developers are more interested in hacking
on the code than spending their limited time chasing down compliance
issues.

--
Alex Bennée