how to add a new machine?

From: ckim
Subject: how to add a new machine?
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:38:20 +0900

Hello, very clever qemu developers, 😊

For our SoC development, I decided to make our new machine to play with. (It’ll be a long term job)

Let’s call the new machine ababa here.

I thought just copying a machine will be easy, so I added these files below.

l  hw/arm/ababa.c

l  include/hw/arm/ababa.h

l  hw/arm/ababa-acpi-build.c

and modified these files to add that machine ababa during the build.

l  default-configs/arm-softmmu.mak,

l  hw/arm/Kconfig

l  hw/arm/Makefile.objs

l  hw/arm/trace-events

l  hw/mem/Kconfig

So at least it compiles ok. But when I tried running an example kernel (which boots ok on ‘virt’) on the ‘ababa’ machine,

“Qemu gave me this error message. “qemu-system-aarch64 -M ababa : unsupported machine type.”

I found ‘qemu-options.hx’ file but it doesn’t event contain the word ‘virt’. And the What should I modify? (I just want this ababa machine to use the same options with ‘virt’.)

It seems like during qemu_init(), many QemuOptsList are linked to the vm_config_group (probably filling many options entry with defaults?).

But where should I add one to the ‘possible’ machine list?

Thanks and best regards,

Chan Kim