VM snapshot question

From: Matthew Ritchie
Subject: VM snapshot question
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 11:35:48 +0200

Hello everyone,

and greetings to the great community!

I went through the documentation and saw that a "VM snapshot" is impossible on a raw block device (e.g. ceph, solidfire etc).
My company is thinking of moving to KVM but we also think that "VM snapshot" is critical to be available for our clients.

We use openstack and cloudstack to provide services, and our storage system is based on block devices.

My question is, what is the recommended way to deal with the "VM snapshots" in a situation  like this?
How one can take a VM snapshot, using the great solution of block devices?

thanks in advance
Matt