Stable (reproducible) virtual hardware?

From: Ville Oikarinen
Subject: Stable (reproducible) virtual hardware?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 14:07:30 +0200

Hello, and thanks for the awesome qemu.

I have the following problem. Sorry, if this is answered in the
documentation, but I just was not able to find it.

Years ago I installed Windows 98 to a qemu virtual machine. Now, with
a much more modern version of qemu, Windows complains about changed
hardware i.e. new devices.

What can I do to make qemu emulate the hardware exactly as it was back then?

I would like to solve this for now and for ever

What I'd like is something like python's pip freeze that lists all
installed libraries with exact versions, and that list can be used to
specify future environments in a reproducible way.

Can I somehow get a list of qemu's hardware defaults that were in use
back then? And can I force the more modern qemu to (always, even 20
years from now) emulate that exact hardware?

- Ville Oikarinen