Implementing power states in QEMU devices

From: Weiss, Howard
Subject: Implementing power states in QEMU devices
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 00:22:56 +0000

I am writing a QEMU simulated device to debug a windows device driver which I am running in a Windows 10 target VM

A device power state describes the power state of a device in a computer, independently of the other devices in the computer. Device power states are named D0, D1, D2, and D3. D0 is the fully on state, and D1, D2, and D3 are low-power states..  Please see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/device-power-states

The   WDF_INTERRUPT_CONFIG structure passed to  WdfInterruptCreate method when creating a device in a windows device driver allows the user to specify an EvtInterruptEnable callback function which is invoked each time the device enters its working (D0) state. The driver I am testing uses this method to initialize shared memory

How do I set the power state of my simulated device in QEMU?

Howard Weiss