Re: Recompile QEMU with frame-pointers

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Recompile QEMU with frame-pointers
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 18:13:23 +0000

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 18:08, Salvatore Mazzarino
<apocalipse89@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have compiled QEMU with the following flags
>
> ../configure \
>     --enable-werror \
>     --enable-trace-backend=simple \
>     --enable-debug \
>     --target-list="x86_64-softmmu" \
>     --disable-gcrypt \
>     --enable-nettle \
>     --enable-docs \
>     --enable-fdt=system \
>     --enable-slirp=system \
>     --enable-capstone=system
>

> what I still get when I run perf command bcc/tools/profile is
>

> qemu-system-x86;[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown];[unknown]
>  1

Nope, because I have no idea what that profiling tool is looking at.
You can check the executables that get built to see if they have
the debug info you need in them. If the framepointer is the issue
you can use --extra-cflags as I suggested.

PS: run the executable in the build tree, not after install, because
I have a feeling 'make install' might run 'strip' on it.

thanks