Re: PS/2 emulation - timer?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: PS/2 emulation - timer?
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 22:25:30 +0000

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 21:44, Kamil Jońca <kjonca@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

> As I wrote earlier there is strange behavior of ps/2 mouse emulation
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1618301)
> I tried to read code
> (https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/master/hw/input/ps2.c) but cannot
> find anything wrong. The only thing I doubt is time relation issues
> (ps/2 description mentions about sample rate), but this was rather quick look.

Not sure. But as a general rule of thumb, you're better off
going with an absolute-position device (the standard one is
the USB tablet device) rather than a relative-position one
like the PS/2 mouse when you're giving the guest an emulated
pointing device. A relative-position one will always tend to
get out of sync with the host mouse, and an absolute-position
one won't.

thanks