Identical CPU models for TCG and KVM

From: Arnabjyoti Kalita
Subject: Identical CPU models for TCG and KVM
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 09:20:42 +0530

Hello all,

I am trying to mimic the CPU configuration that QEMU starts up with in both TCG and KVM modes. I do not see a mechanism to change the CPU model in TCG, while there is a way in KVM with the help of the -cpu flag.

As a starting point, I used the qemu64 CPU when I start QEMU with KVM using the below command line -

sudo ./qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 --machine pc-i440fx-2.5 -cpu qemu64,-kvmclock --accel kvm...

Starting with this CPU model in KVM, ensures that the CPU in TCG mode has the same model as in KVM mode. However, there still is a huge difference in the remaining CPU config (a picture is attached for reference).

How do I make sure that QEMU starts with identical CPU configurations in both KVM as well as TCG mode? For eg. TCG by default, uses "Authentic AMD", can it be changed to "Genuine Intel" or vice-versa in the case of KVM ?

Best Regards,
Arnab