Re: Question on implementation detail of `temp_sync`

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Question on implementation detail of `temp_sync`
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 09:39:28 +0100

lrwei <lrwei@bupt.edu.cn> writes:

> Sorry for the unintentional sending of an uncompleted message.

Questions about the internals of the TCG are very much in the remit of
qemu-devel so are likely to get missed on qemu-discuss which is more
aimed at user questions.

<re-pasted to fix html noise>

> I understands that the current code works, but gets confused on why `ts`
> needs to be loaded in to a register when `free_or_dead` is not
> set.

It isn't, the break leaves the switch statement once it stores the
constant to memory.

> For example in the following scenario:
> movi_i32    r0, 0x1
> add_i32      r1, r1, r0
> (where r0 is not used any more, and both r0 and r1 are globals)

> If I am not mistaken, the code gen procedure of the first IR will call
> `temp_sync` with `free_or_dead` not set, which load the constant in to
> a register and store it back to memory. At this time, `r0` will be
> `TEMP_VAL_REG` instead of `TEMP_VAL_CONST`, so the following IR can't
> embed this constant operand in the assembly instruction it produces. Also,
> this results in a seemingly useless register allocation (, why
> don't the further use of r0 use the constant directly?)

Is this what you are actually seeing generated? If you run with -d
in_asm,op,op_opt,out_asm it should be clear what actually happened.

> So I wonder whether there is any reason for this loading a constant into
> register, I'll be very appreciated if someone can point out the
> reason for me.

<snip>

> Thanks in advance.
> lrwei&nbsp;