Solaris 10 on qemu sparc64

From: Daryl B
Subject: Solaris 10 on qemu sparc64
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 15:48:22 -0400

Hello all,

I am trying to get the default Solaris 10 sun4u image running using qemu sparc64.

I am able to get the CD image to boot up using the bare minimums with qemu v4.2-7 on Debian sid.

#qemu-system-sparc64 -m 4096 -cdrom sol-10.iso  -boot d -nographic

The image boots, with some complaints in the output below

"""

interpret ' unix-tte is va>tte-data failed with error ffffffffffffffed
WARNING: consconfig: cannot find driver for screen device /pci@1fe,0/pci@1,1/QEMU,VGA@2
Configuring devices.
WARNING: Interrupt not seen after set_features
WARNING: Out of range register specification from device node <fdthree>
/platform/sun4u/kernel/drv/sparcv9/i8042: undefined symbol 'i_ddi_alloc_ispec'
WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'i8042'
WARNING: Out of range register specification from device node <fdthree>
/platform/sun4u/kernel/drv/sparcv9/i8042: undefined symbol 'i_ddi_alloc_ispec'
WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'i8042'

Using RPC Bootparams for network configuration information.
Attempting to configure interface hme0...
WARNING: Power off requested from power button or SC, powering down the system!
Skipped interface hme0
svc:/system/filesystem/local:default: WARNING: /usr/sbin/zfs mount -a failed: one or more file systems failed to mount
Serial console, reverting to text install
Beginning system identification...
Searching for configuration file(s)...
Search complete.
Discovering additional network configuration...

Select a Language

   0. English
   1. Brazilian Portuguese
   2. French

"""

Finally the image reaches the language selection prompt to move forward with installation.

However, at this point. I have no ability to use the keyboard, no key presses respond.

From my basic research this seems that the included Solaris driver is rejecting the i8042 PS/2 device qemu is presenting?Or am I dealing with some other issue?

Any assistance is appreciated.

 v/r,

Daryl