Re: Qemu User Space Binaries and Entropy

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Qemu User Space Binaries and Entropy
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 14:37:09 +0100

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 at 14:17, Heather Eacmen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Long story short, I'm trying to figure out why my "qemu-mipsel" (version
> 3.1.1.1) is able to start up SSL for my webserver, when the "qemu-mipsel"
> (version 2.6 and 2.11) both require the /dev/random or /dev/urandom to be
> created/generated.
>
> What is happening under the hood? I took a look at change logs between 2.11
> and 3.1.1.1 - I could not ascertain what change could have allowed 3.1.1.1 to
> find entropy. I could have very well misinterpreted or misunderstood how
> things work.

My first guess was that this would have been when we
implemented the getrandom syscall, which allows applications
to get randomness without having to open /dev/random or
/dev/urandom. However that went in I think in 2.6, so it
can't be that.

If the answer matters to you you could run a git bisect to
find out which commit changed this behaviour.

thanks