Issues with -vnc on 5.0-rc0 with qemu-system-aarch64 -machine virt

From: Jesus Sanchez-Palencia
Subject: Issues with -vnc on 5.0-rc0 with qemu-system-aarch64 -machine virt
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 11:46:36 -0700

Hi there

I've built the 5.0-rc0 tag here for testing the aarch64-softmmu target, and I'm having issues when running qemu-system-aarch64 -machine virt with -vnc. The error I get is:

"qemu-system-aarch64: -vnc 1: could not read keymap file: 'en-us'"

en-us is my default keymap, so this is not the -k option missing.

strace shows me that qemu is trying to stat /usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo, which is not available on my system and thus fails with ENOENT.

This is how I configured my build on Fedora 30:

./configure --target-list=aarch64-softmmu --disable-vnc-jpeg --disable-vnc-png --disable-vnc-sasl --disable-vte --disable-docs --disable-curl --disable-debug-info --disable-qom-cast-debug --disable-guest-agent --disable-brlapi --disable-gnutls --disable-gcrypt --disable-nettle --disable-virtfs --disable-vhost-scsi --disable-vhost-vsock --disable-libusb --disable-smartcard --disable-snappy --disable-opengl --disable-werror --disable-lzo --disable-gtk --enable-sdl --enable-kvm

If I build the 4.2.0 tag with the same config, I don't get the error above but I can still see stat failing on strace with that same messages.mo file. Did something change on the code and that's now treated as an error maybe?

Am I missing a configuration argument now for qemu 5? I feel like I'm missing something obvious but not sure where to look at.

Thanks,
Jesus