Re: migrating Hyper-V guest to KVM -- IDE controller

From: Geoff Nordli
Subject: Re: migrating Hyper-V guest to KVM -- IDE controller
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 10:54:00 -0700

Hi Mike.

I tried pre-installing the VirtIO driver using these steps.

https://platform9.com/blog/support/migrate-a-windows-vm-from-vsphere-to-kvm/

It didn't seem to help.   Though of course, I could have done something wrong.

Through the Windows recovery console, I also tried adjusting the registry entries for IDE controllers which can cause the BSOD error message from this page:

https://www.justandrew.net/2009/10/stop-0x0000007b-on-p2vd-windows-7.html

After a couple of days in the rabbit hole, I figured I would try to boot using vbox and the IDE controller, which worked.

I won't be migrating any more VMs from Hyper-V so I don't need to figure it out.  Thankfully all of the other VMs I need to migrate are running vbox.  It is more of a question, if I have to do it in the future it would be easier if I could create an IDE drive.

If not, the post is here so people know to just boot with vbox first.

thanks,

Geoff