Re: Help

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Help
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 10:18:44 +0000

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 09:46, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2/28/20 12:33 AM, Jorge Abisai wrote:
> > Hi! How can i install qemu and running on a raspberry Pi B+? I want run
> > Windows XP on my Raspberry.
>
> This depends of the distribution you installed. If you installed
> Raspbian, it is based on Debian, so you can install it using 'apt
> install qemu-system-x86' (qemu-utils and ipxe-qemu can also be helpful).
>
> Google for "install winxp in qemu on debian".
>
> This link from Ubuntu (also based on Debian) seems still accurate:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsXPUnderQemuHowTo
> (Except you can not use KVM because you want to run code targetted for
> Intel CPU on a ARM CPU).

Note that trying to run:
 * a modern-ish graphical OS like Windows
 * using pure emulation (since it's x86-on-arm, not x86-on-x86)
 * on a fairly slow host CPU like the Raspberry Pi series

is probably going to be too slow and unworkable to do whatever
it was you wanted to do, even though you should in theory
be able to get it working in some sense.

I would recommend trying to find a tutorial that describes
how to do this on the raspi and which hopefully will also
provide the author's opinion on how useable the result is.

thanks