Re: Is there a risk for filesystem errors?

From: Ottavio Caruso
Subject: Re: Is there a risk for filesystem errors?
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 11:57:30 +0000

On 31/01/2020 10:22, Kai Peter wrote:
Hi,

in a former question there was confirmed that the monitor command 'quit' is similar to unplug the power cable. Now, for modern operating systems it is recommended to shutdown them (and not to switch off the power supply). Thus the filesystem(s) will be unmounted cleanly to avoid file system errors.

The question is: _Could_ it happen that I get filesystem errors if I use 'quit' in the monitor? Especially for ext4 and ntfs filesystems?

I assume it _could_ happen, but can someone confirm please or not?

Really, it's just like pulling the plug while the system is running. Not sure about ntfs, but journalled ext4 will give you some level of protection. fsck will kick in at boot time, if the partition is marked as (fs_passno) 1 or 2 in fstab. Will fsck recover bad sectors? Probably, but why risk? Just use system_powerdown.

If the booted image is a cdrom or a read-only hd, then "q" won't (probably) do any damage.

--
Ottavio Caruso