Q35 / iTCO_wdt as watchdog?

From: Kevin Olbrich
Subject: Q35 / iTCO_wdt as watchdog?
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 22:31:54 +0100

Hi!

I am not sure if this is the correct ML, as my question is a mix of qemu / kvm.

I noticed that q35 as hardware exposes a watchdog to the system that
is picked up by iTCO_wdt.
My VM uses Debian Stretch and I have "watchdog" (daemon) up and running.

If I add i6300esb as hardware and blacklist iTCO_wdt, everything works
as expected (crash using sysrq -> VM is reset soon after).
In case I don't have any watchdog device, iTCO_wdt picks the ICH9
device and correctly configures it (at least it thinks so).
As soon as I crash the VM using sysrq, it remains in that state.

Is this expected? Or is there a parameter to set the action just like
I can when adding a i6300esb?

Kind regards
Kevin