Re: serial console, no graphic card

From: Pierre Dupond
Subject: Re: serial console, no graphic card
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 17:20:09 +0100

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 15:45:57 +0000
Jim Jarvie <address@hidden> wrote:

> For my SunOS VMs, I redirect the serial console on the VM to an IPv4
> Socket with :
>
> -serial tcp::10023,server,nowait
>
> I can then telnet to the serial console (telnet <VMHOST-IP> 10023) and
> don't need to worry about the speed etc.
>
> SunOS looks for a graphic device and if it is not found, it will then
> treat the first serial port as a serial console.
>
> What you need to do will depend on your OS and how it directs to the
> serial port, but the appropriate variation on the -serial option for
> your guest OS should work.
>
> Jim
Thanks this seems to be the solution. But A problem remains, what is the speed
of
the serial interface in the guest? I will probably try to install FreeBSD.

It's not terribly difficult to indicate to the FreeBSD OS to use the serial
console,
but one has to indicate the speed of the serial port (and in addition the
number of bits,
the parity and the flow control).