Re: [Qemu-discuss] QEMU-i386-static question

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] QEMU-i386-static question
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 10:27:01 +0100

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 21:28, Dr. Pedro E. Colla <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to implement a chroot environment on a Raspberry Pi with the
> ultimate intention to run Windows applications using wine.
>
> To do that first an x86 chroot environment using the subject emulator is
> used, then once inside a shell of it wine is invoked.
>
> The whole thing works surprisingly well despite my initial expectations
> given the small CPU resources available.
>
> However, I do need for the Windows program to access the serial port
> (/dev/ttyUSB0 at the host environment); the Windows problem is unable to
> use that port despite different ways to configure it for wine to recognize
> it; but ultimately I found the problem is the x86 debian running under qemu
> isn't seeing it at all.
>
> It seems this version of qemu doesn't handle the usual arguments to define
> character devices or usb devices.

QEMU has two modes of operation:
 (1) system emulation, where we emulate an entire hardware
 system for the guest, including various devices. In this mode
 we allow the user to configure how our emulated devices hook
 up to the host system via the command line arguments you mention

 (2) user-mode emulation, where we emulate just a single guest
 Linux process, and pass through all the system calls it makes
 to the host. In this mode there is no need for any kind of
 command line options to configure devices, because there are
 no devices to configure.

qemu-i386-static is the user-mode emulator, case (2). If you
would like binaries you run under it to be able to see
the host's /dev/ttyUSB0 you need to ensure that that (special)
file exists in the chroot before you run QEMU. Then the guest
binary will be able to open it, exactly as a host binary could.

After that, getting it to be visible to Windows programs running
under Wine is a Wine configuration question.

thanks