Re: [Qemu-discuss] kvm_intel is loaded but user can not access that

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] kvm_intel is loaded but user can not access that
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 13:31:20 +0100

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 at 12:20, Mahmood Naderan <address@hidden> wrote:
> nj@hpcc-ubuntu:~$ qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4000 -smp cores=2 -hda
> win7_64_snap_new.img -boot c -usbdevice tablet -enable-kvm
> qemu-system-x86_64: -usbdevice tablet: '-usbdevice' is deprecated, please
> use '-device usb-...' instead
> Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
> qemu-system-x86_64: failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied

Does your user have the right permissions for the /dev/kvm device?
(For ubuntu this usually means the user should be in the 'kvm'
group.)

You might also try the 'kvm-ok' program (which is ubuntu specific,
but can diagnose some setup issues better than qemu does. I don't
think it catches everything though, it doesn't seem to check the
user permissions vs /dev/kvm for instance).

thanks