Re: [Qemu-discuss] Debugging a qemu hang using gdb

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Debugging a qemu hang using gdb
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 16:19:42 +0100

On Fri, 24 May 2019 at 19:17, Mark Wood-Patrick <address@hidden> wrote:

> Our qemu build comes from another group & contains other components which
> they provide. I'll see if I can get the other group to move to the latest
> version. Is there any documentation on how best to debug hangs in qemu?

It's the same as debugging any other hang/lockup in a
complex multithreaded program -- you look at what
the thread that's hung is stuck on, and try to figure
out why it isn't making progress (eg, is some other
thread sat there with a lock held but not making
progress). This is going to be a bug in QEMU or
possibly in the kernel, since it looks like you're
using KVM. That's why I suggest "try a newer version":
the chances are good that we've already found
and fixed it in a later version.

thanks