Re: [Qemu-discuss] Discard disk image holes for sparse shrink

From: Friedrich Oslage
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Discard disk image holes for sparse shrink
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 19:19:25 +0200

1. You need to set the discard option for the -drive parameter, eg -drive if=none,...,format=raw,discard=unmap since the default is still to simply ignore discards.

You may also want to set the detect-zeroes option to unmap, to discard all-zero blocks instead of actually writing them.

2. The disk image you created is thick-provisioned. How is qemu supposed to discard anything in that file? It could turn it into a sparse file or overwrite it with zeroes I suppose, but both options are undesirable.

To make use of the discard operation your backing storage has to support it. Either by beeing thin-provisioned, like qcow2 or raw sparse files, or by actually beeing a ssd/nvme disk.

3. Your testing method is flawed. You are using a journaling filesystem to write the data but to read it you access the block device directly . Even if the discard operation was working strings(1) would still show the hello-world string in the journal.

You could try something like this:

$ echo hello, world > /dev/sda
$ strings /dev/sda
$ blkdiscard /dev/sda