Re: [Qemu-discuss] FreeDOS in qemu: no internet-connection

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] FreeDOS in qemu: no internet-connection
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 17:20:17 +0100

On 16 September 2018 at 11:39, Christian <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> thanks a lot for your response.
>
> I tried  "qemu-system-i386 -m 32M -drive
> file=drivec.img,media=disk,format=raw -net nic -net user -drive
> file=FD12CD.iso,media=cdrom -boot order=d"
> but it ditn´t work either.
> After boot FreeDOS still says: "Error: Your ethernet card reported an
> error for every packet we sent."

That's expected, because -net nic -net user is identical to
passing no -net options. Try a different NIC, eg with
-net nic,model=ne2k_isa -net user

since your earlier test suggested that your guest was happier
with that card rather than the default e1000.

> Besides there´s still one thing I cannot understand: Why does  e.g.
> KNOPPIX work without any problems at all (as far as internet connection
> is concerned)?

There is probably a bug in our e1000 network card emulation, which
is triggered by whatever your FreeDOS guest's network driver does
but not by the Linux e1000 driver's behaviour. Or possibly the
FreeDOS e1000 driver has a bug. Either way, what I suggest above
is to try to work around this by trying another NIC, which will
mean both that QEMU is using different network card emulation and
that the guest is using a different driver.

thanks