Re: [Qemu-discuss] Why arm and aarch64 -M virt boards don't have graphic

From: Ciro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Why arm and aarch64 -M virt boards don't have graphics support?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 00:26:17 +0100

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 20 May 2018 at 11:19, Ciro Santilli <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Is there a fundamental technical reason, or just was not worth the trouble?
>>
>> The wiki says https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/ARM
>>
>>> The only thing it [virt] doesn't have is graphics
>>
>> and the graphic window indeed does not show on -M virt.
>
> It's slightly out of date, I guess. The board has no
> built-in graphics, but it has PCI so you can plug in an
> emulated PCI card. From that set, VGA cards will work
> with TCG but not KVM (because of the memory-attribute-clash
> problem); virtio-gpu should work with both TCG and KVM.

Do you know which options I might need to add to my  QEMU -M virt
command to make it open a graphic window (and hopefully show the
CONFIG_LOGO penguin)?

For example on QEMU v2.12.0, the following boots fine but does not
open an SDL graphical window like an analogous x86 command would:

qemu-system-aarch64 \
-serial mon:stdio \
-M virt \
-append 'root=/dev/vda console=ttyAMA0' \
-cpu cortex-a57 \
-kernel Image \
-drive file='rootfs.ext2.qcow2,if=virtio,format=qcow2' \

> I've never tried to use graphics with the virt board (having
> no need for it), but I believe it ought to work. Feel free
> to experiment and update the wiki page accordingly.

Can anyone create an account to edit the wiki nowadays? I've never
been able to find the create account button and thought it was invite
only.