Re: [Qemu-discuss] Coldfire 5208 Network

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Coldfire 5208 Network
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 14:50:06 -0700

On 28 September 2017 at 14:40, William Mahoney <address@hidden> wrote:

> Still stuck on this most of the afternoon. Here’s what I am trying to do:
>
> ./bin/qemu-system-m68k -trace events=/tmp/events \
>                            -cpu m5208 \
>                            -M mcf5208evb \
>                            -kernel ./coldfire-test-0.1/vmlinux-2.6.21-uc0 \
>                            -netdev
> user,id=net0,net=192.168.5.200/24,host=192.168.5.142,restrict=off \
>                            -object
> filter-dump,id=f1,netdev=net0,file=temp_net.pcap \
>                            -nographic
>
> But I need the device set up on the guest side, so I go add:
>
>           -device mcf-fec,netdev=net0

This won't work. -device is for pluggable devices (ie ones which
the end-user can plug in, like PCI or ISA devices). It doesn't
work for devices that are built in to the SoC or board and always
exist (and the mcf5208 ethernet is one of those).

You can only use "new style" -netdev/-device networking command
line options with pluggable devices. For builtin ethernet devices
you have to use the "old style" networking command line options
which are all "-net".

The default (ie don't specify any -net or -netdev options at all)
should I think give you user mode networking (it is equivalent to
-net user -net nic), which ought to be fine for your purposes;
just don't try to test it using "ping", because usermode networking
doesn't support ping.

thanks