Re: [Qemu-discuss] QEMU is looping when I load a VM snapshot

From: Arnabjyoti Kalita
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] QEMU is looping when I load a VM snapshot
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 15:58:47 -0400

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your answer.

I am sorry that I did not provide all the other details that you requested.

Basically, I am using a Linux-4.11.3(Ubuntu 17.04) on the host and
Linux-4.4.0-62-generic(Ubuntu 16.04) on the guest. The machine is x86_64
architecture. I am currently using QEMU version 2.8.0.

I just tested the savevm and loadvm both with TCG. It works. So it is
definitely not a TCG-to-TCG bug. It clearly looks like a KVM-to-TCG bug.

I am using the below command to start QEMU for SAVEVM(with KVM) :-

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 10G -machine pc-i440fx-2.5 -enable-kvm -cpu
qemu64,-kvmclock -drive file=ubuntu16.04.server.qcow2,format=qcow2

Once I perform the savevm, I will then do a LOADVM using the below
command(with TCG) :-

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 10G -machine pc-i440fx-2.5 -drive
file=ubuntu16.04.server.qcow2,format=qcow2 -loadvm fifteenth-snapshot

After further analysis, with the help of the QEMU monitor, I see that QEMU
is hanging at a kernel address/instruction :-

0xffffffff810645d6  :     pop   %rbp  (This is not the first instruction
executed when QEMU is loaded)

Let me know if this further clarifies my situation to you. I will try this
experiment with the new QEMU version 2.10 as well. I will be grateful if
you can provide me with some more details on the root cause of this issue.

Best Regards,
Arnab