Re: [Qemu-discuss] vm get stuck during snapshot commit with qemu-img

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] vm get stuck during snapshot commit with qemu-img
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 09:17:53 +0200

On 18/07/2017 09:05, Hans-Juergen Rux wrote:
Morning,

We have the following problem and we have absolut no idea how to fix it.

We are using CentOS 7.2 / 7.3 with KVM (qemu 2.6). Everything works really
great with VM image files (qcow2) under about ~700/800 GB. It is fast and works
fine, interruptions of the VM during snapshot commit into base file of max 1
second.

But when we build virtual servers with disk images >1-2 TB or more, and commit
snapshots from a snapshot chain into the basefile, we have interruptions in the
virtual machines of 30-60 seconds. Ping to the VMs is interrupted, the RDP
sessions are lost. The time inside VM jumps.

It seems that the timeout happens at the end of the commit proccess.

The same on different HW, diferrent disk subsystems, different Windows or Linux
VMs. So regardless of whether the drive on VM operating system has a paritition
on ist virtual disks or the qemu guest-agent is installed.

Any ideas?
I have experienced similar misbehavior on Debian, also with an
"old" qemu version.

I don't know if these issues have been fixed in a later upstream
qemu version, and if so, which one.

Enjoy

Jakob