[Qemu-discuss] Migrating from XenServer

From: Shakil Shaikh
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Migrating from XenServer
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 14:36:54 +0000

Hi,

I've had some measure of success in running Xenserver in my home lab and
have become quite familiar with it. However I've hit a snag in getting
Nvidia GPU passthrough working - apparently there is a driver issue that
will block this from happening.

There are workarounds for libvirt/qemu/kvm which sound compelling,
however I'm a little concerned/unaware of how the qemu ecosystem works.

I guess it comes down to the UX - XenCenter is quite pretty and user
friendly and allows me to manage and view the virtual displays of all my
virtual machines and storage setups remotely, and even lets me patch my
hypervisor etc.

Does such a tool or setup exist for Qmeu? I may be incorrect but it
feels like Qmeu is more for single/low number of manually managed
possibly transient instances running on machines that sit in front of
the users, rather than the "server based" paradigm Xen uses. Please
correct me if I'm wrong!

Shak