[Qemu-discuss] Arbitrarily high VIRT?

From: Christian Theune
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Arbitrarily high VIRT?
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 21:26:10 +0100

Hi,

I’m currently analyzing a potential Linux (host) kernel memory issue that is
causing relatively frequent BUG/Oops on our hosts. Something that I haven’t
found much documentation on is the amount of virtual memory (VIRT) that Qemu
allocates. Besides the guest memory I guess it depends a lot on what
devices/backends we’re running.

I currently see VMs with 1GiB guest memory allocated showing 14GiB VIRT but
correctly using less than 1GiB RES. In general allocating arbitrary amounts of
VIRT isn’t a problem at all (e.g. for memory mapping files) but I’m still
curious whether this is typical and assumed or whether VIRT should be much
closer to the guest memory size.

Thanks and cheers,
Christian

--