Re: [Qemu-discuss] VGA choices

From: Vincenzo Romano
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] VGA choices
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 08:51:12 +0100

Thanks, Narcis.

> VNC is a protocol to connect to a GUI, not MDA/TXT.
> Independently of what guest OS does or shows, Qemu only outputs display
> through:
> - VNC (graphic)
Networked

> - SDL (graphic)
Local to the host

> - GTK (graphic)
Local to the host (maybe also networked with X11)

> - Curses (text)
Local?

> - none (no display)
None, indeed.

My host is a headless server and I'd like to save all resources I can
from it to give them to the guests.
So I need remote access to the guests that I would like to do with
SSH, RDP or VNC
(the latter two with SSH tunnels).

VNC seems to me a solution, but I couldn't find enough details about
the curses solution which
would be my preferred solution because of its low requirements.
Where is the ncurses output pushed to? A local PTY? A Unix socket?

Why cannot I use -nographic with -daemonize (and VNC)?