[Qemu-discuss] how to trace guest OS when qemu is run with kvm enabled a

From: Parfait Tokponnon
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] how to trace guest OS when qemu is run with kvm enabled and cpu is host?
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:40:27 +0100

Hello all;
Can someone help me with this question? I am a newbie in Kernel debugging.
Is it possible to trace guest OS execution (break/watchpoints, single-stepping) when kvm is used and cpu is set to host?

If I run qemu with

qemu-system-x86_64 -no-kvm -cpu core2duo -m 256 -cdrom kernel.iso -s -S

target remote :1234 //on gdb commande line

tracing goes fine but when I run using

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -cpu host -m 256 -cdrom kernel.iso

no breakpoint works (guest never stops) so my question. If yes, can someone point me the right config?

I do need kvm to expose PMU features to the guest OS.

*PMU : Performance Monitoring Unit
--
Parfait T.