Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to use tap for qemu guest network?

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to use tap for qemu guest network?
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 14:07:25 +0100

On 15/12/2016 13:34, Shiyao Ma wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to use a tap for the network between the host and the guest.

There are some materials on the internet, but none working for me.

Anybody successful setting up the tap based network?

It's the most common configuration, normally described as "bridge"
because the tap devices are connected by a Linux kernel bridge
(when running on Linux).

What commands/setup do you use?
I typically use one of the big frameworks that wrap qemu and do
this part for me.  "libvirt" is the most popular framework.

Once upon a time I used the manual way, which involved a qemu-
supplied shell script that created and configured the tap device
as root while qemu ran as a normal user.

Enjoy

Jakob