Re: [Qemu-discuss] Memory calculation guidance

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Memory calculation guidance
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 20:27:55 +0100

On 24/11/2016 15:58, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 11/24/2016 6:55 AM, Henti Smith wrote:
To avoid possible OOM killers in future, what is the recommend way of
calculating real memory allocation per VM to ensure we don't have more
OOM Kill situations ?

Don't try to allocate everything to your VMs.  Leave enough room for
QEMU.  And I've found the memory required can vary widely, depending on
many factors including but not limited to the platform being emulated,
the host system, devices being used, and from what I can figure, the
positions of the moons of Jupiter.

Does that mean that correcting for the slowness of light would allow
calculating the actual amount, similar to how similar issues with the
observed positions of the moons of Jupiter was solved? :-)

Enjoy

Jakob