[Qemu-discuss] Defining a bridge

From: Jerry Stuckle
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Defining a bridge
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 22:20:15 -0400

Hi,

OK, I'm back on this now, and need to define a bridge for qemu.

Once again, this is Ubuntu running in VirtualBox under Windows.  Ubuntu
is using NetworkManager, and I have defined the bridge there per
http://ask.xmodulo.com/configure-linux-bridge-network-manager-ubuntu.html.

This comes up as bridge0, and seems to be working just fine.  I then try
to start Debian-arm under qemu with:

qemu-system-arm -m 1024M \
        -sd /export/armhf.qcow2 \
        -M vexpress-a9 \
        -cpu cortex-a9 \
        -kernel /export/boot/vmlinuz \
        -initrd /export/boot/initrd.img \
        -append "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2" \
        -device virtio-net-device,netdev=net0 \
        -netdev
bridge,br=bridge0,id=net0,helper=/usr/lib/qemu/qemu-bridge-helper

/etc/qemu/bridge.conf has

allow bridge0

Qemu starts just fine, no network-related errors, but no network
interface (eth0, etc.) in Debian.  Removing these lines and using slirp
and Debian gets an interface just fine.

Any suggestions as to where to look?  Again, I'm a programmer, not a
Linux admin, so I'm a bit lost there.

Thanks,
Jerry