Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to set the network card for qemu to use?

From: Miroslav Rovis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to set the network card for qemu to use?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:26:14 +0200

Hi aleksei!

I'll be studying your kind tip below, but I was into physical rearranging of my
NIC cards setup, and I first decided I needed to see how the default
pass-through works:

http://www.croatiafidelis.hr/foss/cap/cap-161015-qemu-devuan/

On 161014-12:11+0300, Aleksei wrote:
> This is not the right mailing list to ask about persistent NIC naming on
> your host system.
Yes, you're right.

I'll be looking into this:
> Assuming you've solved that and trying to get a VM working with *eth1*,
> do the following:
>
> 1) Set up a bridge on the host (let's say it's bridge0) with eth1 as a
> slave. bridge0 is configured to auto-get IPv4 address via DHCP.
> Different methods are described here
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_bridge.
There are also Wiki pages more specific for Gentoo which I use:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/QEMU
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/QEMU/Options
and sure:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Network_bridge

> 2) Include the following to your Qemu command line. You don't need to
> manually create tap devices on the host, qemu-bridge-helper script does
> this for you.
>      -device virtio-net,netdev=internet \
>      -netdev
> bridge,br=bridge0,id=internet,helper=/usr/lib/qemu/qemu-bridge-helper
>
> 3) Start VM, post results. Please try to be concise ;) and post what you
> are trying to do and actual error messages. Also provide your Qemu version.

Regads!

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia