Re: [Qemu-discuss] Cannot connect to network

From: Aleksei
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Cannot connect to network
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 22:33:26 +0300

Hi Jerry,
You didn't specify network options in qemu command, so it created a default SLIRP network for your Debian guest. If you can access internet from Ubuntu, it's weird that you can't access it from Debian - I don't know why. Can your Ubuntu VM access internet regardless of which host interface is up (wireless/Ethernet)?
See here for available Qemu networking options: http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking#User_Networking_.28SLIRP.29

If you want Debian VM to be on the same network as your host, like Ubuntu does, you can set up a bridge in Ubuntu, specify Ubuntu's NIC as a slave and have Qemu tap into it as well. It will be a tricky "layered bridging" setup, but I think it'll work. See here for info on creating bridges in Ubuntu https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkConnectionBridge

Hope this gives you enough pointers to at least get started.

--Regards, Aleksei