Re: [Qemu-discuss] Qemu reports slightly less memory on PXE boot

From: Prem Anand Haridoss
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Qemu reports slightly less memory on PXE boot
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 16:23:17 +0000

From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of Jakob Bohm
Sent: 04 January 2016 15:56
To: address@hidden

>> On 04/01/2016 15:21, Prem Anand Haridoss wrote:
>> On booting an iso (from the cdrom) with 8G memory, after bootup, I see
>> 8179816 kB as the total memory available.
>> However on PXE booting the same vCPE livecd iso over a nic, with the same 8G
>> memory, we see only 7857512 kB as the total memory available
>> Is this a bug in qemu? I am using version 2.5.0 (Debian 1:2.5+dfsg-1)
>> Regards
>> Prem
>>
>> Logs:
>> =====
>> On booting iso using cdrom
>> --------------------------
>> address@hidden:~/work/tplaf/☸ qemu-system-x86_64 -name Test -nographic
>> -enable-kvm -cpu Haswell -smp 2 -m 8G -cdrom $iso -boot d
>>
>> ISOLINUX 4.05 20121210  Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al
>> Press control and F then 1 for help, or ENTER to
>> boot: live-serial init=/bin/bash
>> bash: no job control in this shell
>> root@(none):/#
>> root@(none):/# cat /proc/meminfo | head -n3
>> MemTotal:        8179816 kB
>> MemFree:         8138960 kB
>> MemAvailable:    8131960 kB
>>
>> On pxe booting the iso over a nic
>> ---------------------------------
>> address@hidden:~/☸ qemu-system-x86_64 -name Test -nographic -enable-kvm -cpu
>> Haswell -smp 2 -m 8G -netdev
>> user,id=net0,tftp=$HOME/TPLAF//TB2/rtr2/tftp,bootfile=/gpxelinux.0 -device
>> rtl8139,netdev=net0 -boot once=n                       >>
>> PXELINUX 6.03 PXE 6.03-pre20 Copyright (C) 1994-2014 H. Peter Anvin et al
>> boot: Build109.11
>>
>> ISOLINUX 4.05 20121210  Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al
>> Press control and F then 1 for help, or ENTER to
>> boot: live-serial init=/bin/bash
>> bash: no job control in this shell
>> root@(none):/#
>> root@(none):/# cat /proc/meminfo | head -n3
>> MemTotal:        7857512 kB
>> MemFree:         7816764 kB
>> MemAvailable:    7809988 kB
>> Presumably, the PXE BIOS needs some RAM for the network
>> stack and CD-ROM emulation.
>>
> Perhaps it simply loads the entire ISO image into RAM
> before booting it, so the boot process can play with
> the network adapter without loosing access to its "CD".
>
> Check if the difference is close to the size of the ISO
> file.

Thanks Jakob
You are right!
The difference in memory matches the iso file size. So it seems that qemu uses
certain portion of ram for storing the iso
But shouldn't qemu allocate extra memory needed to store the iso instead of
using the ram specified to the guest OS. Or is this how a real device would
behave when we PXE boot?

Regards
Prem