[Qemu-discuss] Regarding QEMU's TCG operation

From: Kushal Parmar
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Regarding QEMU's TCG operation
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 08:47:26 +0000 (UTC)

Dear All,

I am currently working on emulating OS's on ARM chipset based devices.
One usecase being running Windows OS on ARM device.

So the above case would definitely require binary translation as x86 is going to be virtualized on ARM device, hence TCG would carry out the machine instructions translations for the Target.
But this operation would not be suffice for performance perspective as all the emulation is software based and no hardware is being used, and would need to boost up its performance by utilizing kernel features like KVM in case of ARM.

So is there anyway we can execute the translation buffers in KVM??... I do not have a clear idea on which part of TCG can be directed to KVM coz major of the work is done in Filling the translations buffers and generating code for it.
Would be helpful if someone got some pointers on this...!
Thanks

Regards
Kushal Parmar