Re: [Qemu-discuss] Guest fails to reconnect after host network goes down

From: Davide Baldini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Guest fails to reconnect after host network goes down
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 18:06:15 +0200

With "drop the newtork" I mean that both ping and SSH toward the guests throw a "Destination Host Unreachable".

When the network drops, running `ifconfig` from inside the guests keeps showing the same, correct data as before the drop, like IP address, MAC and netmask. But after the ethernet cable is unplugged and re-plugged causing a drop, the guests may no longer be reached via SSH nor ping-ed, and vice versa, the guests may not reach any virtual or physical host in the network, yielding a "Destination Host Unreachable".

A ping toward "localhost" from inside the guests works correctly, as well as SSH.

My network configuration has nothing peculiar; I have no NAT or firewall configured anywhere in my network, except for a few unrelated port forwards set on the home ADSL modem/router, but they do not apply since all accesses to my guest machines are made via their local IP addresses (ie 192.168.1.100), and so those NAT rules are bypassed. In this consumer-grade modem/router, NAT rules are applied only to packets coming from internet and not to packets coming from the local network, and I'm connecting to the guests from inside the local network.

I'm not involved at all with settings pertaining layer 2 or layer X of the network.

-- Davide