Re: [Qemu-discuss] KVM on Mac OS X host

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] KVM on Mac OS X host
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 19:57:58 +0100

On 19 August 2015 at 20:40, Programmingkid <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2015, at 3:25 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>
>> On 18 August 2015 at 14:12, Programmingkid <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Do you think this should be a Google Summer of Code project?
>>
>> I guess it's probably a size that would work for a GSoC
>> project with a suitably capable and enthusiastic student.
>>
>> Are you asking because you would want to do it as a GSoC
>> project yourself, or because you'd like to see it on the list
>> so somebody might apply and volunteer to do it?
>
> I would do it myself but I don't know too much about hypervisors,
> so I'm hoping there is someone else out there who is far more
> qualified to do it. This will probably take a GSOC student to do it.
> Maybe I will add this to the 2016 GSOC page if it exists yet.

I spoke to Alex Graf, who said he'd had a look into the OSX
hypervisor API. Apparently the amount of work required to
support this would be more than my initial glance at the API
suggested, so it's really too large to be a GSOC project.
Also a major problem is that it would be a large amount of
code which would need to be maintained into the future by
somebody, which makes a GSOC project a poor fit -- GSOC
students often don't stick around after the end of the summer,
so there wouldn't be a maintainer for the code.

thanks