Re: [Qemu-discuss] linux: ioctl(KVM_CREATE_VM) failed: 12 Cannot allocat

From: Ken Moffat
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] linux: ioctl(KVM_CREATE_VM) failed: 12 Cannot allocate memory
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 04:22:26 +0000

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 02:12:28AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> I had kvm working fine (i686 guest) from a new x86_64 host system -
> after fixing up some Xorg server issues - and then I decided to
> create a new x86_64 guest (this is linuxfromscratch, so using an old
> guest to build a new one).  But now when I try to start qemu with
> any of my images, even one which worked a couple of hours ago after
> I last reran 'startx', I get:
>
> ioctl(KVM_CREATE_VM) failed: 12 Cannot allocate memory
> failed to initialize KVM: Cannot allocate memory
>
> and google produced nothing useful about where I need to look.  This
> is linux-3.19.0 and qemu-2.2.0 (and linuxfromscratch-7.7-rc /
> current BLFS).  Any pointers, pretty please with sugar ?

 Eventually, I finished the application tests I had been doing, and
decided to reboot to see if that would fix it.  But before rebooting,
I killed Xorg with ctrl-alt-backspace (yes, I'm old school ;) and
then ran 'startx' again : now qemu is working once more.

 Very weird, I was starting to think it might be a kernel
regression, but apparently not.  Any pointers for what the error
message means would still be appreciated.

ĸen