[Qemu-discuss] linux: ioctl(KVM_CREATE_VM) failed: 12 Cannot allocate me

From: Ken Moffat
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] linux: ioctl(KVM_CREATE_VM) failed: 12 Cannot allocate memory
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 02:12:28 +0000

I had kvm working fine (i686 guest) from a new x86_64 host system -
after fixing up some Xorg server issues - and then I decided to
create a new x86_64 guest (this is linuxfromscratch, so using an old
guest to build a new one).  But now when I try to start qemu with
any of my images, even one which worked a couple of hours ago after
I last reran 'startx', I get:

ioctl(KVM_CREATE_VM) failed: 12 Cannot allocate memory
failed to initialize KVM: Cannot allocate memory

and google produced nothing useful about where I need to look.  This
is linux-3.19.0 and qemu-2.2.0 (and linuxfromscratch-7.7-rc /
current BLFS).  Any pointers, pretty please with sugar ?

ĸen