Re: [Qemu-discuss] Connecting a physical device to a qemu socket network

From: Nick B.
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Connecting a physical device to a qemu socket network
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 23:46:53 +0000

On 05/02/2015 15:50, Josh Powers wrote:
I am creating a virtual network with a bunch of qemu guests all using
the qemu socket network interface and it works wonderfully.  However I
have a need to connect a physical device into my virtual network and I
am curious if there is any reasonable way to get a virtual network
adapter on the physical device (running linux) that can connect / listen
for qemu socket type networking connections.

One alternative might be to use bridge-utils to create a bridge on your host, then run your guests with tap interfaces, add them to the bridge, add a real ethernet nic to the bridge...

Basically if something exists my assumption is it would be a virtual
network adapter that has configuration allowing it to set a listen
port/connect ip/port.  However I dont know if such a thing exists.

But if you're stuck using the socket interface, have a look at the way GNS3/dynamips works. It connects all the Qemu guests and virtual routers together using udp sockets. You can connect your guests to physical interfaces using a GNS3 virtual switch.

--
Nick B.