Re: [Qemu-discuss] compiling qemu-2.2.0 static with libssh and SDL fails

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] compiling qemu-2.2.0 static with libssh and SDL fails -help
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 23:58:48 +0000

On 16 January 2015 at 11:54, lux-integ <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear qemuers,
>
> I am new to this list.  I am trying to compile qemu-2.2.0 statically
> My System has these:
> GCC-4.8.1, linux-3.10.61.  I configure qemu-2.2.0 with the following
> switches:-

The static build is only really supported for use with the
linux-user and bsd-user targets. It might build the softmmu
emulators, but we don't guarantee it (or that it will work
once compiled), and it definitely isn't tested with all
the random extra library options. Often the library dependencies
themselves don't support static linking. (glibc in particular
is not very happy with being statically linked.)

That said, below are some tips that may point you in the
right direction if you're sufficiently comfortable with
prodding about in configure and build systems to try to
fix things up yourself...

> #-------------  for SDL-1.2.15
> --- with the latter two switches   the configure script  reports
> [  cannot find SDL  please install SDL-devel ] although  all the libraries
> and binaries for SDL are installed.

This usually means you have the dev package for the
dynamic library but not the static library. Sometimes
it means that the dependency's pkg-config information
is broken for static compilation. Best bet to find
out what's going on is to look at what commands configure
is running to test for presence of the library, and see
what they do.

> #------------- for  libssh2-1.4.1
>
> building with the "--enable-libssh2" switch  yields
> /opt/qemu/lib/libssh2.a(mac.o): In function `mac_method_hmac_sha1_hash':
> mac.c:(.text+0x272): undefined reference to `gcry_md_open'
> mac.c:(.text+0x289): undefined reference to `gcry_md_setkey'
> mac.c:(.text+0x29b): undefined reference to `gcry_md_write'
> mac.c:(.text+0x2ab): undefined reference to `gcry_md_write'
> mac.c:(.text+0x2ba): undefined reference to `gcry_md_get_algo'
> mac.c:(.text+0x2c1): undefined reference to `gcry_md_get_algo_dlen'
> mac.c:(.text+0x2cf): undefined reference to `gcry_md_read'
> mac.c:(.text+0x2e6): undefined reference to `gcry_md_close'
> mac.c:(.text+0x315): undefined reference to `gcry_md_write'
> /opt/qemu/lib/libssh2.a(crypt.o): In function `crypt_dtor':
> crypt.c:(.text+0x1e): undefined reference to `gcry_cipher_close'

This looks like it means "the ssh2 library depends on some other
library, but its pkg-config information is broken for static
compilation and doesn't list the dependent library". (For
dynamic linking the dynamic linker will pull in dependencies
of dependencies, but for static linking they all need to be
listed on the link command line.) Fix the ssh2 pkg info
or fudge it.

thanks