Re: [Qemu-discuss] Using qemu for EA LPC3250 firmware emulation

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Using qemu for EA LPC3250 firmware emulation
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:38:21 +0000

On 10 November 2014 14:56, James Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've used buildroot to compile a firmware targeting the LPC EA3250 board,
> I'm trying to get this to run using qemu so that I can test changes to the
> firmware on my machine.

Firmware typically requires that it runs on the actual
hardware in question, or on a model of that exact hardware.

> I've tried commands such as:
>
> qemu-system-arm -M virt -kernel uImage -hda rootfs.ext2 -boot c -m 128M
> -append "root=/dev/sda rw console=ttyS0,38400n8"

This is like trying to load your firmware into the ROM on
a completely different piece of hardware and expecting it to
run. It won't work; it's likely just going to crash on startup.

> But I keep getting similar errors no matter which -M option I apply. It
> seems that somehow I need to get a new machine option to pass qemu which
> will correspond to my board. I've found this config file which seems to be
> the configuration needed for the board I'm looking at.

That is a configuration file for the openembedded build system.
It has nothing to do with QEMU. QEMU does not have any support
for the LPC EA3250, I'm afraid.

Adding support for a new board model to QEMU is typically quite
a lot of work (as a rough rule of thumb, writing a device model
for QEMU is about as much work as writing a device driver for
the kernel is).

thanks